NEW DELHI: The authorities has made hallmarking of gold jewelry and different associated objects necessary on Wednesday. This will probably be initially carried out in 256 districts.
If you might be planning to purchase hallmarked gold jewelry, it is very important guarantee that the mark is real. Beware of the mark the jeweller could have placed on his personal. This is also called dabba hallmarking. Here are just a few methods in which you’ll be sure that the hallmark signal on the jewelry you might be shopping for is real.
1) Check the hallmark signal that consists of three issues — The BIS (Bureau of Indian Standards) mark denoted by a triangle, the caratage (22K915) displaying the purity, the mark of the jeweller and that of the AHC.
2) You can ask the jeweller to indicate his BIS licence. As per BIS pointers, jewellers are required to show the licence upfront. Check if the tackle talked about on the slip and the shop are the identical.
3) Ask for a breakup of the invoice. You also can ask the jeweller to say the hallmarking expenses on the invoice. The assaying and hallmarking centres (AHC) cost ₹35 per merchandise hallmarked that’s paid by the jeweller.
4) You can get the jewelry checked on the AHC by yourself by paying a small charge. You can verify the listing of AHCs on the BIS web site. It additionally enlists suspended AHCs and people whose license has been cancelled. The centres undertake the testing of jewelry of frequent shoppers on precedence on a rechargeable foundation.
After testing, the AHC will subject a report giving correct identifications as marked on the jewelry. If the jewelry is discovered to be of lesser purity, then the AHC, which did the preliminary certification, should refund the patron’s charges.
5) You also can strategy your jeweller with the report as the vendor is chargeable for the purity of the product. The jeweller can be liable to compensate in such circumstances.
Subscribe to Mint Newsletters * Enter a sound e-mail * Thank you for subscribing to our publication.
Never miss a narrative! Stay related and knowledgeable with Mint.
our App Now!!