Report Wire - How are NRIs taxed on investments in India?

Report Wire

News at Another Perspective

How are NRIs taxed on investments in India?

2 min read
The taxation of income could differ for a non- resident and a resident as different rules and tax rates may apply.

I’ve been residing within the US for the final 10 years. I’ve my PAN and aadhar card in India the place my mother and father reside. I switch some cash frequently to my father’s checking account from the US and he has been investing this quantity within the share market, mutual funds and in actual property.

Recently, I visited India and requested my father in regards to the submitting of revenue tax return (ITR) in India and he replied that my revenue is just not taxable and they also haven’t been submitting any tax returns. Furthermore, as per my understanding, my residential standing in my demat (dematerialisation) account is given as Indian. What is the distinction (as per Indian revenue tax legal guidelines) if I used to be to maintain my residential standing as Indian or get it modified to non resident Indian (NRI)?

– Name withheld on request

As you’ve been residing outdoors India for greater than 10 years, you might qualify as ‘non resident’ beneath the India Income-tax regulation and alternate management regulation.

The cash transferred by you to your father’s checking account now and again is just not liable to tax in India.

However, in case your father has invested these funds into numerous investments in his title, the revenue from such devices will likely be taxable in his arms.

If your father has invested the funds in your title, the revenue from such investments will likely be taxable in your arms in India.

The taxation of revenue might differ for you (as a non- resident) and your father (resident) as completely different guidelines and tax charges could apply.

You might additionally avail the advantage of the double taxation avoidance settlement between India and the US.

You may also must seek the advice of knowledgeable tax advisor to find out your tax submitting requirement in India.

Under the alternate management regulation, when a person leaves India for employment or for enterprise or vocation outdoors India or for every other function indicating his/her intention to remain overseas for an unsure interval, his/her current resident checking account needs to be designated as Non-Resident Ordinary (NRO) account.

You could must open a brand new non-resident demat account on a repatriable or non-repatriable foundation and switch your securities from a resident demat account to a non-resident demat account.

Sonu Iyer is tax associate and folks advisory companies chief, EY India.

Catch all of the Business News, Market News, Breaking News Events and Latest News Updates on Live Mint.
Download The Mint News App to get Daily Market Updates.