Report Wire - Can a relinquishment deed be despatched from overseas?

Report Wire

News at Another Perspective

Can a relinquishment deed be despatched from overseas?

2 min read
Relinquishment deed would require to be stamped and registered in India (iStock)

My sister is an OCI (Overseas Citizen of India). Our father handed away not too long ago. He was a resident of India. My sister needs to relinquish her rights to our father’s property in my favor. The property is positioned in India. Will my sister want to go to India for making the relinquishment deed, or can she do it from overseas?

– S. Sinha

Since your sister is desirous of relinquishing her proper and curiosity in your father’s property in your favour, a relinquishment deed (also called a launch deed) must be executed in your favour. This relinquishment deed would require satisfactory stamping and registration. Whilst the best state of affairs can be that your sister visits India and bodily indicators the relinquishment deed and completes the procedures on the native registrar’s workplaces, another will be thought of. An influence of lawyer will be executed from the native embassy abroad for appointing a consultant who can perform the execution of such relinquishment deed in your favour e.g. one other member of the family visiting India, and whom you belief to finish the method in your behalf. Please be aware that such relinquishment deed would require to be stamped and registered in India to effectuate a switch of your sister’s share in your favour.

It is advisable that your sister liaises with the native embassy to establish the method of executing such energy of lawyer.

Rishabh Shroff is accomplice, Cyril Amarchand Mangaldas. 

(Send queries and views at


Subscribe to Mint Newsletters * Enter a legitimate e-mail * Thank you for subscribing to our e-newsletter.

Never miss a narrative! Stay linked and knowledgeable with Mint.
our App Now!!