Report Wire - Can a change in your identify have an effect on the appropriate to promote any property?

Report Wire

News at Another Perspective

Can a change in your identify have an effect on the appropriate to promote any property?

2 min read

My father had bought residential land in my identify once I was a baby and nominated my mom because the guardian. However, my authorized identify was modified later and now I’ve no proof pertaining to my childhood identify as registered within the property deed. 

My father died and I’ve since attained the age of majority and  want to promote the property. How do I show that I’m the rightful proprietor of the property? What shall be my mom’s share on this property? Can my brother and sister declare a share in it as effectively? My mom says the property was bought for household use.

— Name withheld on request


Primarily, we assume that the change in your identify has not been printed within the  gazette introduced out by the federal government. Hence the problem of change of identify could also be addressed by making a declaration cum-affidavit by cost of non-judicial stamp responsibility, as relevant in your space of residence, which is sworn earlier than the competent authority. 

Simultaneously, a discover in a neighborhood newspaper of large publication could also be provided that each names belong to at least one and the identical individual.

 The buy of the property by your father in your identify underneath the guardianship of your mom is legitimate and authorized. However, the legislation offers that after changing into a significant, you might train the appropriate of repudiation of this transaction. Once you’ve gotten turn out to be a significant, your mom has ceased to stay your guardian and also you turn out to be absolutely the proprietor .

 Even if the property was bought and put for household use and even when the property was bought in your former identify, you continue to are the authorized proprietor of the property.

 Further, owing to the truth that you’re the lawful proprietor of the property, neither your mom nor your siblings have any rights within the property and there will be no legitimate claims that will come up from them as authorized heirs of your father on his dying. 

Any authorized proceedings initiated towards you in respect of the property might must be defended by you after substantiating the truth that the identify of the minor within the property paperwork and your registered identify is of the identical individual.

Aradhana Bhansali is companion, Rajani Associates.

Subscribe to Mint Newsletters

* Enter a sound e-mail

* Thank you for subscribing to our publication.

First article